Gosh I love ‘how I met my husband’ stories so here is mine.
I met Tom while showing sheep in 4H. The true truth is Tom and I met briefly in 4H while showing sheep. Our friendship grew five years later when I moved to Pennsylvania to be with another boyrfriend.
While I completely remember the moment I met Tom, Tom says he doesn’t remember it at all. whomp whomp.
It was 2005 at a sheep weigh-in and it was my first (and last) year showing sheep at our county fair. I was an odd ball to be sure. Most kids start 4H when they are eight, I started when I was sixteen.
But I’m glad I joined because that’s how I met my husband.
At that sheep weigh-in, Tom grabbed both my lambs by the halter and yanked them out of the bed of my truck. He was helping me because I had no idea what I was doing.
I will remember it always.
We talked for a minute and it only took a minute for him to invite me to his house near Gettysburg, to shoot guns. Random right? It was totally fate.
Tom stood out in 4H because he was he was tall and had red hair and was homeschooled. I ALWAYS had a thing red headed guys. He was also nineteen and still helping out the sheep program for 4H. Who does that? And most importantly, he loved Jesus and talked about it. He still does.
That is how we met.
And then one day he came to our FFA banquet and I had the strangest sense that I was so excited to see him, that I could talk to him forever. He started telling me about his civil war musket hobby and I told him my dad would love it. Who knew, now my dad is on his musket team. Fate you guys.
We both dated other people but he friended me on myspace (myspace!) and I remember thinking how much we had in common. After college, my boyfriend broke up with me right after I moved to Pennsylvania to be with him. I soon realized the only person I knew near me in Pennsylvania was Tom Taylor from 4H who lived near Gettysburg. I messaged him on facebook. First I checked to see if he was still single.
Thank goodness he wrote me back.
I asked him to meet me at a diner in Hanover because I wanted to see if he was as cute as I remembered. I remember how good he smelt, I remember not wanting to stop talking to him, that night or ever. And he is really cute isn’t he?
But, as stubborn girls do I insisted for months all we would was friends. He was that kid I knew from 4H. #friendzone
So we were just friends for months. The whole time I was denying having any feelings for him. One night we were laying on a hammock in my parents backyard (because that’s what ‘friends’ do) and I gave him a list of reasons I could never date him. The first being he was too nice. He asked me why that was bad and I am sure I stumbled through some reason but the truth was I was already in love with him.
And I was scared he wouldn’t love me back.
But he did.
In a warehouse at his job one day while I sat on a forklift watching him sweep the floor, Tom told me either I had to be his girlfriend or we had to stop hanging out. He had sent me a long text about the same thing the night before and I hadn’t answered him. He asked me to pray about it. Tom was the first person who ever asked me to pray for God’s will about something so specific. When I prayed God didn’t tell me to date Tom but He told me I would know who my husband would be by August. It was June. I figured I better get on it.
Three years later, Tom Taylor asked me to marry him. And what a long three years because I knew that August, he was the one I wanted to marry, just like God said I would.
Those years from us first meeting in 4H as kids to deciding to get married were some of the most impatient of my life. I was always over thinking, over analyzing, and over pushing myself into other relationships, giving my attention to people and things that weren’t meant for me. And rushing everything. Our relationship almost didn’t turn into marriage. I was too impatient and too critical of what we were and where we were going. Did he really love me? He seemed perfect but was he really? My impatience and lack of trust in God really hurt us for a time. But by God’s grace and Tom’s patience that I got over myself to see what was in front of me- my husband.
It’s worth noting that 2005, was not only the year I met Tom, it was the same year I gave my heart to Jesus. And that’s not a coincidence. Neither is how I we met or the fact that I spent years thinking of him only as a friend. It is all evidence of God’s perfect plan and sense of humor. Now our friendship and our marriage is more beautiful than I could ever imagine.
That’s how I met my husband.
I love hearing all the ‘How I met my husband’ stories so tell me yours in the comments or on facebook.
Today marks my seventh year working as a state livestock inspector.
Gosh it’s been fun. I can hardly believe they’ve let me stay at this job for this long.
I’m feeling all nostalgic so I thought I would share what I’ve been doing for seven years.
It’s been seven years of pretty views…
seven years of pretty ewes…
seven years of
rusty trusty trucks…
seven years of really good luck (flu strip negative- always good).
seven years of checking gates…
seven years of working late…
seven years of sample runs…
seven years of cinnamon buns…
seven years of ruffling feathers…
seven years of crappy weather…
seven years goofing off…
seven years of don and doff…
seven years of cattle tags…
seven years protecting ag…
seven years of co-workers who became closest friends…
that’s seven years I would do again.
Still can’t believe this job! If you are interested in becoming a state livestock inspector or the work we do, send me an email, I could talk about it for like, seven years.
Today is my 30th birthday! Not to be all sentimental, but I truly believe the best parts of life come after 30. I was thinking about that today when I remembered that when I was 29– this time last year– I made a list of 30 things to do before I turned 30.
Spoiler alert I only did 11 outta 30. BUT, since 30 is going to be #mybestlife, I am going to call this my 30 while I’m 30 list and keep checking stuff off. Also, for the sake of accountability and blogging all the things, I’m going to write a blog post for each thing on the list– because this is important stuff. I mean, I’m 30.
This is going to be long so feel free to skip but this is my list summary so far:
01. Buy a house // we bought a house- yay!
02. Read Every Book In The Bible // I’ve read from every book in the bible, so that’s a half check.
03. Start a Business // I started a business– today actually. So does it count as before or after 30?
04. Eat Raw Oysters // I think I did but I can’t remember so I’m going to put it back on the list.
05. Learn to use a DSLR // I’m super comfortable with my camera so I’m calling it a win.
06. Go to a Conference // I went to a Joyce Meyer conference and it was so fun I want to go to more.
07. Share the Gospel with 30 people // I have shared Jesus with people but I don’t know about 30. It may seem weird to put a number on it but it reminds me to share Jesus with people, like everyone.
08. Pay for Someone Else // So I think I thought I would pay for someone in a drive-thru, or at the grocery store and I haven’t yet so I will definitely have to.
09. Liquid eyeliner // why is it so hard? Someone teach me.
10. Grind Coffee Beans // I just love coffee so there’s that. Do you need a special machine? Yikes.
11. Sew a Piece of Clothing // And wear it.
12. Geocaching // Why is this on here? I have no idea.
13. Be A Mentor // Yes. No pressure.
14. Host a Dinner Party // This sounds so fancy but it might be #tacoTuesday.
15. Capsule Wardrobe // I feel like this is going to be a huge one for me.
16. Build a Website // Holler. I can build a website from scratch. No biggie
17. Blog Consistently // Hello, 2018.
18. Wear a Dress to Work // This is one that feels like will never happen but I’m going for it.
19. Dye my hair Red // I did this once and am doing it again this week.
20. Apply For a Patent // Y’all are going to be like ‘what in the world’ but go big or go home. If I could only figure out what for…
21. Meet Another Blogger // I need blogger friends, hit me up.
22. Start Something in the Community // I started a neighborhood facebook group but I’m going for something bigger…
23. Take Tommy to the Beach // We did and it was so fun.
24. Get Rid of Everything We Don’t Need // (aka KonMari) I’m so close I can feel it so I checked it.
25. Sell a Piece of Artwork // I did, on a t-shirt and it counts.
26. Find My People // I got to say, I thought this would be the hardest thing– but I found them, and they are my soul sistas. I have more friendships now than ever and I love how I don’t feel like I can have too many.
27. Plan a Date // This is going to make me sound… but I haven’t planned a date just for Tom, ever.
28. Scrapbook Tommy’s First Year // My goal is to do it before his second year…
29. Plant a Field of Flowers // I wanted to plant them and sell them too but at this rate I might just throw some seed out and hope for the best #farmingainteasy
30. Build a Piece of Furniture // Life goals.
Here we go! As I complete something from this gripping 30 while 30 goal list, I’m going to write about it and link it here so stay tuned.
Happy 30. What would be on your list? Or just your normal bucket list, like normal people do?
Do you love a new year? Because I love a new year. I also love an old year, 2017 was a good one. In no particular order here are my favorites from twenty seventeen.
1. book // People of the Second Chance
Lots of truth about Jesus and real life. I can’t get enough of this book. Mike Foster is the man. My sweet friend let me borrow it. I thing need to buy her another one because I’m never giving this one back.
2. fashion // the dad hat
Gosh I love the dad hat. And Walmart sell them for $2.97. You also don’t have to wash your hair if you wear them, not that I would know.
3. kid’s things // munchkin cup
Hey mama of littles, this is a munchkin miracle cup. If you are raising babies without it, you’re doing it wrong.
4. beauty // cervae facial wash
Cervae face wash is so good at washing your face. Like buttery soft good. I used to not pay attention to face wash stuff but I’m about to be 30 and it best be about time. $10.97 at Walmart, you’ll love it.
5. bullet journal // Leuchtturm 1917
In 2017 the Leuchtturm 1917 A5 dotted journal is my journal of life. I wish I could by like 15 of these but I think I can only handle one at a time. Let me know if you are a bullet journal too.
6. tech // google home mini
How did/do anyone of us live without the google home mini? It can have it call my phone on full volume– even if it; on silent. Tom can ask it how to say “make me a sandwich, woman” in german. A win, win. So I know there’s the whole ‘big brother’ thing but I’ve been on team google since day one. The only problem is now I’m yelling Hey, Google! at all my devices. Like the microwave and the alarm clock.
7. cleaning product // Norwex microfiber clothes
I was the skeptic of all skeptics about this whole microcloth thing. BUT the envirocloth from Norwex is my new rag of life. Y’all will love this stuff if you are trying to go paper towel free (or chemical free but not me– I still love my chemicals). I like the envirocloth, kitchen cloth, and bottle brush.
8. clothes // llama everything + graphic tees
Somehow I only bought one shirt with a llama on it in 2017 but it could have been a ton more. How and when did everyone love llamas as much as me? Also, I’m never going to stop wearing graphic tees but how can I get away with wearing them to work? I don’t think a save the drama for your llama shirt is going to go over well in my office. Or maybe it would..
9. the real mvp // the McDonalds chicken nugget
drum roll please– the real MVP of 2017 is the McDonalds chicken nugget. I couldn’t have done it without you. Love, working moms everywhere.
10. netflix // The Crown
The Crown. Best show of 2017. It is so good. Like sit down and watch it all in two days good which I did, during which time I may have started talking to my dogs in a brittish accent. #teamcorgi. Just found out my parents love it too so you know it’s good.
11. software // Adobe Creative Suite
I did a grown up thing in 2017 and purchased the entire adobe creative suite for $50/month. That is a a lot of money for us but it’s the best thing I bought in 2017 for my future goals.
12. goal // decluttering
I started the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up last year and while it took an entire year to complete it, our home (and our lives) are so much better for it. So so much better. My plan is to make some videos about it in 2018 so stay tuned for those. Let me know if you have done it and were able to stick to it.
13. life hack // brown sugar in your coffee
I have no idea who taught me this, but I need to thank them. Just a teaspoon. ( I do 1/2 tsp)
14. trend // cactus everything
I’ve loved cactuses (yes I know it’s cacti) before they were cool. (Does everyone say that?) Is this a millennial thing
15. habit // The focused 15
Focused fifteen is where you dedicate fifteen minutes to the Lord every morning no matter what. It has changed my life and I’m very serious.
17. podcast // How I Built This
2017 was the year of the podcast for me. Oh how I have listened to podcasts and oh how I love them so. NPR, How I Built This is my favorite podcast for 2017– my favorite episode is the one where Sara Blakely tells how she built Spanx. If you have no idea what a podcast is or how to listen to one– I must to teach you. No seriously, I must.
17. invention // the play center
Just when I thought there was no way my little guys energy out I remembered– play centers! How lucky we are to live in a world with play centers? It’s like the most thoughtful idea ever, kind of like giving a mom a hug. Thank you Chick-Fil-A. And McDonalds. And our church.
Ta da- a few of my favorite things. Here’s hoping you found 2017 to be full of a few of your favorite things and let’s look forward to all the great things 2018 has in store.
Here are ten Christmas gift ides for ten dollars or less. Ten days before Christmas.
Are you still out there pulling all your shopping together? Don’t leave me hanging.
I’m really good at picking things out, not so good at buying it.
1. Stainless Steel Tumbler from Walmart
These are the bomb dot com.
2. Taco Socks from Amazon
Because, taco socks.
3. House Plant from Ikea
It’s like giving someone a pet. But not really.
4. Letter Board from Walmart
I found one of these in the back aisle at Walmart and fought the urge to buy one for myself because they are pretty cool.
5. Farmhouse Art from Hobby Lobby
Have you guys been to Hobby Lobby. All. the. art. It’s all great, and a lot of it is around $10.
Also who knew farmhouse decor was so popular. Or am I just that out of it.
6. Cat Oven Mitt from Amazon
May or may not have bought this.
7. Wireless charger from Ikea (this one is $11.99) but there are lots on amazon for $10 like this one.
8. Avocado Huggers from Amazon
Who doesn;t want to hug an avocado.
9. Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds from Target
If you want to give a food gift, I would go with these.
10. Home Sweet Home Doormat from Target
Everyone would want this right? Because I do.
You are welcome.
This blog! Oh man.
So what is new is, this whole time I’ve been juggling life and motherhood, I’ve been saying, “but I have a baby”, but the truth is I have a toddler now. He’s not a baby. He’s not a baby! Ok he is totally still a baby. Always will be. Sorry not sorry, Tommy man. You are stuck with me, and you’re always going to be my baby. #becauseIsaysSo
But what is new y’all. Besides everything. Ummmmm.
Just going to jump into it.
Tommy was a chicken for halloween. It was fantastic. Except I had a moment of chasing- chasing! him through the parking lot during Light the Night at our church when I realized I chase chickens all day at work, just to dress my kid up as a chicken and chase him for Halloween. What’s up with that?
It must mean something. It DOES mean I immediately went home to see where to buy one of those leashes for kids. For real. I’m that parent and it’s a good thing.
Speaking of chickens. Did you know ‘backyard chickens’ is like the number 5th thing searched for on google? That must mean something. What does it all mean?
That’s what’s really new, me asking myself ‘what does it all mean’ at least five to six times a day.
What I do know, is that motherhood is a stinking blast. Like who signed me up for this because I am having a blast. No joke.
Also new, did you know that you can now order McDonalds from a machine, just like at Sheets? Whhhhattttt.
What is this? And did you know you can get diapers delivered to your door? From amazon?
What is this America that we live in? God is good!
Speaking of, you guys God has shown up for me BIG time lately. I have gotten back into seeking Him every day by setting apart time for prayer, and listening to what He wants to tell and show me. I also realized how much NEGATIVE talk I’ve had in my life and just a shift to speaking POSITIVE things over myself and situations, wow you guys. WHAT. A. DIFFERENCE.
Just can’t even. Explain. But try it.
Hope all is well with my loyal blog readers. Are there any of you? Y’all are the bomb.com